Color, line, shape, texture, and light are the media that express the emotion in my work. Rather than creating a recognizable object, I use the elements of painting itself to allow the story to unfold. There is no plan in my painting, yet there is process. I let a color, a line, a shadow dictate what comes next.
The purpose is to create expression and emotion strictly out of shape and color - completely abstract. My best works are the ones that just happen, when I allow myself to be surprised.
Born: 1977, St. Louis, MO
Lives and works in Brooklyn, NY
- 2005 The Art Students League, New York, NY
- 1999 B.S. Studio Art, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY
- 2008 Thirty One!, OM Gallery, Portland, OR
- 2008 Side by Side, BAG Gallery, Brooklyn, NY
- 2007 The Painting Show, SQFT Gallery, Nashville, TN
- 2005 Small Abstractions, Tao Living, New York, NY
- 2004 Spring Matters, Utowa Gallery, New York, NY
- 1999 Thesis Exhibition, Case Gallery, Saratoga Springs, NY
- 2008 Chris Benz Runway Show, Spring 2009 Collection, New York, NY
- 2006 Converse by John Varvatos Spring Launch, New York, NY
- 2006 Supporting Women Artist's Project Studio Residency, Brooklyn, NY